Re: VirtualBox in Sid

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 19:45 +0100, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Do you have any advice about how to keep VirtualBox (the "full", non-free one)
> on Sid without many headaches? In the Download page some sources.list entries
> are provided, but only for lenny, etch, etc.
>
> I guess the Lenny package will work right now because the version of
> everything will be almost the same, but I'm a bit concerned about the updates
> sid will receive once Lenny is declared stable.
>
> Also, installing DKMS is recommended to manage kernel updates, but the package
> is not available in Debian. :-(

You should be able to use the Lenny packages with no problems. Unless
Sid gets incompatible library updates in libraries that are actually
used by VirtualBox (very unlikely), things should continue to work
fine.
A bigger problem would be if the VirtualBox packages were "ahead of"
Debian, in which case they would require features in libraries that
don't yet exist. But as it is, unless we get a completely incompatible
library upgrade (very rare) then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837