Re: Sound problems

'alsaconf' is always your best friend with sound problems.

just run it as root and follow the prompts

Dean

Fabricio Cannini - Yahoo wrote:
On Tuesday 23 September 2008 15:58:49 Antonio Luiz Pacifico wrote:
Dear all,

Since Debian testing has changed its kernel from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 series
and now 2.6.26 (amd64, of course) series I lost completely the sound of my
system.

The modules are being correctly loaded at the boot process. They are the
same that worked with 2.6.24 series. The system doesn't complain regarding
nothing. It seems like the the machine got dumb. Of course, I have tested
with more than one speaker and headphones. Nothing!

I know that there is not a hardware problem. For example, if I load another
distro, like kubuntu (using that option to load only from CD), the sound
start to work perfectly. However, I want to have Debian working.

Has any one here that had this problem before? What I must see in the log
files (and what log files) in order to get some light to solve this
problem?

My sound interface is onboard: ADI 1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio
CODEC.

Thank you in advance,

Antonio

Hi Antonio!

Some of these new "High Definition Audio" cards can be very tricky to make work.

At first, my "nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio" which is actually a "Conexant 5047", worked without a hitch, both in kubuntu 8.04 and debian testing (it was "testing" back in january of this year).
After a kernel update from 2.6.22 to 2.6.24, it just stopped working.
I spent two days to find out that i had to append "options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1 model=laptop" to '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base'.
I did it, rebooted, and it worked!!
Find your card here: /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz , try the options shown there and see if your card works.

Good luck!!

--
http://fragfest.com.au