Re: What is the best java for debian-amd64 ?

Tuesday 16 September 2008, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote :
> Hi all,
>
> as there are many java versions installable, what is the best one to
> use in amd64-systems ? What are the differences ? I saw gcj, gij,
> gdk, java. Can someone tell me, which should be used ? Ia ma very
> confused. Update-alternatives is giving me these choices:
>
> There are 8 alternatives which provide `java'.
>
>   Selection    Alternative
>           1    /usr/bin/gij-4.1
>           2    /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
>           3    /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
>           4    /usr/bin/gij-4.3
> *         5    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
>           6    /usr/bin/gij-4.2
>           7    /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java
>  +        8    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java
>
> Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
>
> I choose 5. What is this "+"-sign meaning ?

It was your current alternative when you ran update-alternatives

> Questions, questions, questions....
>
> Thanks for any help !

I think the two most important ones are the sun alternative because it
is widely used and the openjdk which is the free sun JVM (v6 I think) +
the free java libraries. It should replace the comming java 7 (where
jvm + libraries is supposed to be free) in all distros I think.

Not that I'm not completely sure of what I say.

> Kind regards
>
> Hans-J. Ullrich

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme