Re: What is the best java for debian-amd64 ?

Hi Hans

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:38 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> as there are many java versions installable, what is the best one to use in
> amd64-systems ? What are the differences ? I saw gcj, gij, gdk, java. Can
> someone tell me, which should be used ? Ia ma very confused.
> Update-alternatives is giving me these choices:

I haven't done a comparison between the different versions, and there
are a lot of different perspectives as to which is the best.  The free
verses closed argument for example.

For me I was looking to develop and test on a single CPU AMD-64 (lenny),
deploy on twin Intel Xeon (etch/4.0) and a demo laptop running Windows
XP.

The J2EE software stack installed on all three base OSs is: Sun's Java
1.5, JBoss 4.2.2, MySQL 5 and Apache 2.  On the debian systems the APT
versions where used, on the window pre-built packages from the
appropriate website except for JBoss.  JBoss was installed on my
development system only and then copied to the deployment platforms.

I've had no issues of differences between the platforms.  I consider
that a large part of this was because I was using a JDK from the same
source (SUN).

Hope this is useful.
Steve

--
Steve Dobson

I'd rather have two girls at 21 each than one girl at 42.
-- W. C. Fields