Re: [Aegis-developers] amd64 buildd hosts

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:00 +0200, Walter Franzini wrote:
> The problem is not related to compilation, but to the test suite.  It
> seems to me that the package is build by an user that belong to the
> undefined group 1000 and this make aegis fails numerous tests.

Aegis doesn't like unknown users or unknown groups.

That has probably happened is the user build bot is logged in as has the
default group from the fourth column of the /etc/passwd file as 1000,
but that group does not appear in the /etc/group file.  A second, less
likely, possibility is a file with its group set to a number which does
not appear in the /etc/group file.

This was once a bigger issue that it is not, because Aegis once stored
the _string_ of the GID in the meta-data.

We could add a simple program to the start of each test file which
checks for thinks Aegis really can't cope with -- like unlisted GIDs,
UIDs < 100, etc -- and have the tests fail more gracefully in broken
environments.  In the test_prelude, actually, which would be good reason
to update all of the test scripts to use it.

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp@canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"If the programmer can simulate a construct faster than a compiler can
implement the construct itself, then the compiler writer has blown it
badly." -- Guy Steele