cron-apt, dpkg and shutdown

Dear maintainers,

maybe I am wrong, so please correct me:

When you are usimg cron-apt on computers, which are not all the time online
(i.e. laptops or desktops at home), and you are using cron-apt, so IMO a user
should be at least warned, if there is an active upgrading process running.

Otherwise the user will shut down his system and the running process
(aptitude, dpkg or whatever) will be hard killed.

In this case, for example, dpkg will be in an unconsistent state (and must be
corrected with "dpkg --configure -a"). As this is no problem for an
experienced user, IMO this might be a real problem for users, which just want
to use the system (say: technical newbies).

My solution would be, to let the shutdown-process first look into the process
list, if essential processes are running (at least aptitude, synaptic, dpkg,
apt and some other important processes), and , if they do, either ask the
user what to do, or better, inhibit the shutting down. (Windows does it this
way, as far as I know).

As this is no real bug, just more a thing for the wishlist, I do not know,
where to send my wish. So I send my thoughts here for discussion.

Maybe shutdown can be changed by the maintainers, if they like my ideas.

Best regards

Hans-J. Ullrich