Re: laser printer that is very reliable that runs well under debian.....

Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I bought a Samsung ML-2510 laser printer a while ago and
drove it under Debian Etch and now Lenny.

> It seems to have developed a fault of some sort.
>
> The manufacturer says that I can run diagnostic software
under either Linux (so it says) or MSWindows that might
give me a hint as to why it is freezing up.

> I don't think it is a paper jam.
>
> I could mess around with this but I am very busy.
>
> So very busy that it is cheaper in time and money to
simply buy a new printer to solve the problem.

> The printer cost me $100 or so.
>
> If I spent e.g. $1000 on a printer solely with the
intent of finding one that is very reliable that Lenny
will drive well and smell  malfunctions and diagnose
what they are really well (better still the printer
itself has a display on it that gives copious details
of any error on it indepedently of the operating system
that is driving it that anyone could understand quickly),
 what printer would you recommend?????

> I am beginning to understand why people buy printers from Xerox etc.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Fothergill

My experience with Xerox is that they are overpriced and finicky. HP is not my favorite brand, but they do have good linux support now. They get credit for having some of the very best laser printers in the early days, although I can't say anything about today. Still I would give them consideration, since the linux drivers are mostly open source and mostly free. Or at least widely available, including Debian support.

Mark Allums