Subject: debootstrap firefox3
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:54:13 +0200
From: wimpunk <bkcfscpmcuin@spammotel.com>
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.ports.amd64

Hi List,

Regularly I see messages about running your 32-bit browser in a chrooted
environment on a 64bit operating system but I don't get my firefox3
running on lenny.
I used pretty good direction about howto install iceweasel which I found
on http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/iceweasel32.html.  It seems to
work pretty fine but when I try to add firefox3, it fails.  I extracted
the tar.bz2 file to the /opt directory in my chrooted environment and
tried to start /opt/firefox-3.0/firefox using this script:

#!/bin/sh
export GTK_PATH="/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0"
CHROOT="/disk2/opt/firefox-chroot"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/lib32:/usr/lib32:$CHROOT/lib:$CHROOT/usr/lib"
linux32 "$CHROOT/opt/firefox-3.0/firefox" "$@"

Firefox starts with a lot of errors like this:

(firefox-bin:5133): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon
'gtk-dialog-warning' for stock: Unable to load image-loading module:
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so:
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

which looks like it tries to use the 64-bit version of the library and
when firefox is started, it can't connect to the internet saying
"Address not found. Firefox can't find the server at
en-us.start2.mozilla.com." while it works correctly when using the
normal environment.

Anyone any suggestion?

Kind regards,

wimpunk.