Re: amd64 kernel + 32-bit userland: compiling a new amd64 kernel

Hello Hendrik,

thanks a lot for your reply.

> I'm told there are also cross-compilation versions of gcc.

I know, that gcc has some options to choose the target architecture. So the
compiled kernel code will be for AMD64.

But kernel code also makes use of common functions (e.g. strcpy, strcmp). The
code for these functions is taken from libraries, and therefore these libraries
must be 64-bit. But my system contains only 32-bit libraries.

If I shall do a chroot, I need a second system, which is 64-bit. In that case I
don't need a mixed system (64-bit kernel + 32-bit userland), then I prefer a
pure 64-bit system and my original problem is vanished.

Dieter