Re: amd64 kernel + 32-bit userland: compiling a new amd64 kernel

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 04:43:04PM +0200, Dieter Rohlfing wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> when I got my new Dell Latitude D830 (1 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T7250) a few
> months ago, I installed the 32-bit version of Debian-Lenny (kernel and userland
> i386-architecture).
>
> A few weeks ago I upgraded the laptop with 3 GB RAM, so now it has a total of 4
> GB RAM. Under the i386 kernel the command free shows about 3.5 GB available
> memory, so I lost about 0.5 GB RAM due to the i386 architecture.
>
> Therefore I installed the amd64 kernel, which is part of the i386 distribution.
> Now free shows 4048 MB available memory. So, now I have a completely i386
> userland and an amd64 kernel.
>
> In order to build a customized new amd64 kernel I guess, I'll need some 64-bit
> libraries for the building process, because as I said: my system is (with the
> exception of the kernel) completey i386, that is it has only 32-bit libraries.
> Now my questions:
>
> Is it possible, to build an amd64 kernel inside an i386 system (with 32-bit
> libraries)? If yes, what additional packages do I have to install? Are they
> available inside the i386 distribution or do I have to download those from the
> amd64 distribution?
>
> I appreciate all hints and replies.
>
> Dieter

I'm told that the Linux AMD-64 kernel was already in operation before
the first AMD-64 chip was built, so there must have been some way to
build it.  Apparently they used the kernel to debug the hardware design
in emulation.

I'm told there are also cross-compilation versions of gcc.

-- hendrik