How do I set my internet up?

I have comcast.  I have a wireless router hooked up too.  During installation, it was not able to autoconfigure with dhcp (it did the first 2 times I installed it awhile back).  I thought it was a bad ethernet cable because the light on my router wasn't on indicating that there was a cable plugged into the corresponding ethernet port on the router.  However, I switched the two cables around, the wireless still works.  I also tried a third cable.  I'm guessing it's something with my computer.  Should I be using a dhcp with comcast?  (I don't know what dhcp is really)  How would I figure out what the problem is?

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
A Smarter Email.