Re: C.P.U. suggestions.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:04:32PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> > Truly have found ext3 to be ho-hum, but I guess that's the
> > point....;^)
>
> It's reliable, the performance is decent.
>
> I tried XFS for a while, but that was around 2.6.10, and there were some
> serious bugs at the time that would cause system crashes and abysmal
> performance when working with lots of small files (like say gcc source
> code or something).  It would take hours and often crash if you did rm
> -rf on the gcc source dir or a kernel source.  I switched to ext3 again
> after that.  If the bugs have indeed been fixed it may actually have
> been a better choice for my mythtv box since it has lots of large files,
> but I use ext3 there as well.
>
> I have never used JFS, although it seems support for it may be going
> away and it might get dropped.  Not sure, but perhaps it isn't worth
> trying if the situation is that unclear.

I had great success with JFS except that I switch away from it when told
by the maintainer that IBM didn't recommend using it anymore.

I use ext3 with data=journal mode since the power goes out here and I
don't have a UPS.  With default mode, only the metadata is journaled and
you can lose data on power-failure.

Doug.