Re: 'apt-get dist-upgrade' tries to install unneeded packages

Lionel Elie Mamane:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 01:39:34PM -0700, Corey Hickey wrote:
>
>> I have my system fully updated right now. When I run 'apt-get
>> upgrade', no packages are ready to install or held back because of
>> dependencies.  When I run 'apt-get dist-upgrade', though, I get a
>> list of 73 packages that are to be installed.
>
> Maybe dist-upgrade tries to satisfy recommends?

No, dist-upgrade doesn't behave different than upgrade in that regard.

Seriously, why do so many people speculate wildly about what upgrade and
dist-upgrade do on a regular basis? It's clearly documented and it is
not even especially complicated.

Quoting 'man aptitude' (since aptitude is the recommended package
management tool since sarge):

upgrade
  Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version. Installed
  packages will not be removed unless they are unused (see the section
  “Managing Automatically Installed Packages” in the aptitude reference
  manual); packages which are not currently installed will not be
  installed.

  If a package cannot be upgraded without violating these constraints,
  it will be kept at its current version. Use the dist-upgrade command
  to upgrade these packages as well.

dist-upgrade
  Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version, removing or
  installing packages as necessary. This command is less conservative
  than upgrade and thus more likely to perform unwanted actions.  Users
  are advised to either use upgrade instead or to carefully inspect the
  list of packages to be installed and removed.

This makles it also clear why you should not use dist-upgrade by default
unless you make sure to check scheduled actions very closely.

J.
--
I am very intolerant with other drivers.
[Agree]   [Disagree]