Re: How would I get debian unstable?

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 10:26:55AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Debian stable releases seem to upgrade better to the next release than
> Ubuntu.  I think Ubuntu should really put some more effort into making
> sure upgrades work flawlessly.  I think fixed release dates is a huge
> mistake on the part of Ubuntu, but rather typical of anything with
> commercial backing.

No, I think it is typical for any distribution that is new enough not have
made enough mistakes in the upgrade process. One of Debian's strengths is
that they have been around for a long while, and have learned most of the
time. I bet that in the beginning, upgrading a Debian/Stable was still a
hazzle.

> I have never tried gentoo, since it is fundamentally the wrong way to do
> a system.

Sorry if I over react, but I am a bit allergic to anyone claiming something
is "fundamentally the wrong way to do" almost anything. I guess most of the
ways have their justifications for some situations.

I learned a lot from the year I installed and run Gentoo on my desktop. That
experience was the direct cause that I dared to to a Debian install over the
net, with not much help from the local people... Just stick in a CD (I think
it wasn't even Debian, possibly Knoppix), enable me to ssh in, and I took it
from there. Bit scary to tell it to reboot, but it did come up, and was a
functional system... I guess a Debian wizard would have done it with just
Debian background, but walking through the Gentoo installation was a good
learning experience.  (and maintaining the system for a while too, although
that was what convinced me to switch back to Debian).

Best regards

   Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk