m-a auto install failed with new kernel.....

Dear folks,

My laptop (hp G6062EA) seems to have upgraded to the latest kernel

debian:/home/mikef# uname -r
2.6.25-2-amd64

I tried to redo the kernel modification etc to reinstall nvidia drivers.....

Things seemed to work OK until I got to the m-a auto-install nvidia part.

debian:/home/mikef# m-a auto-install nvidia

Updated infos about 1 packages
Getting source for kernel version: 2.6.25-2-amd64
Kernel headers available in /lib/modules/2.6.25-2-amd64/build
apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
  libavutil1d libavcodec1d libpostproc1d libdc1394-13 libavformat1d

Done!
unpack
Extracting the package tarball, /usr/src/nvidia-kernel.tar.bz2, please wait...
"/usr/share/modass/packages/nvidia-kernel-source" build KVERS=2.6.25-2-amd64 KSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.25-2-amd64/build KDREV=2.6.25-3 kdist_image
debian:/home/mikef# uname -r
2.6.25-2-amd64
debian:/home/mikef#
debian:/home/mikef#

It got about 40% of the way though the installation and then conked with the following log file output that I could capture:

/usr/bin/make  -f debian/rules clean                                       ↑
 │ make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel'               ▮
 │ # select which makefile to use.                                            ▒
 │ rm -f /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/Makefile || true                   ▒
 │ if [ 6 = 6  ]; then \                                                      ▒
 │              cd /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv ; \                      ▒
 │              ln -s Makefile.kbuild Makefile ; \                            ▒
 │              cd .. ; \                                                     ▒
 │         fi                                                                 ▒
 │ if [  6 = 4  ]; then \                                                     ▒
 │              cd /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv ; \                      ▒
 │              ln -s Makefile.nvidia Makefile ; \                            ▒
 │         fi                                                                 ▒
 │ if [ -e patch-stamp ]; then \                                              ↓
 │

The Debian nvidia howto talks about using pre-built modules or custom kernels if you get stuck at this stage.

Before trying this I would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Great deals on almost anything at eBay.co.uk. Search, bid, find and win on eBay today!
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000004ukm/direct/01/