Re: installation problem

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 06:17:46PM +0100, Joe Hickey wrote:
I am trying to install debian amd64 but can't get the installer to mount the cdrom. I am using an LG GSA-H55l drive connected via IDE. My hard disks are connected with SATA.

I have verified the md5sums of all the isos I've tried to use. These are the etch and testing netist iso images, with the standard, beta3 and today's nightly build of debian-installer.

All combinations have the same result. The netinst iso boots up, I can select language and keyboard, then mounting cdrom manually fails because nothing corresponding to a cd drive appears in /dev. sda and sdb appear for my hard disks with appropriate partitions, and sdc through sdf for my usb slots. But no /dev/hdc or anything like it. /proc/ide contains only "drivers".

I have tried booting the iso with libata atapi_enabled=1, tried modprobe ide-core options="ide-nodma" or modprobe ide-generic in a terminal, no success.

If you go to a shell and run
# dmesg | more
	(I'm not sure if the installer has a "more" command, I'm sure it
doesn't have a "less"; if neither, just do dmesg
look for anything indicating it found the cdrom drive.

Ide drives are named according to where they are hooked up.  How do you
have the ide cdrom drive connected?  If its master on the first
controller, it should be /dev/hda.  If it is the only IDE drive, ensure
that it is set as master since without an hda, the kernel may not find
an hdb.

If none of this helps, and after having read the installation-manual,
send in a (failed) installation report and subscribe to debian-boot.
The people there will give you specific instructions since they wrote
the installer and know its internals.

Doug.

Thanks for your reply. The problem was that no ide devices were being detected, or at least not showing up in /dev as hda or whatever.

After irc help on #debian-boot, this problem was solved by passing generic.all_generic_ide=1 to the installer at boot time.

Best,

Joe