Re: libsc7_2.3.1-3_amd64.deb problems

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:43:05AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:

> /var/cache/apt/archives/libsc7_2.3.1-3_amd64.deb
>
> I remember that library was in connection with a quantum-mechanical
> computation program "mpqc" (from the Sandja lab), which is deb packaged but
> which is no more installed on this machine ("which mpqc" and varieties of
> this command for the executable do not report anything).
>
> Is that library needed for something else?

One way to find out:
  sudo apt-get remove libsc7_2.3.1

It will remove all that depends on the package as well. Before doing it, it
will ask if you are sure. Say no, or hit Ctrl-C, unless the package list
looks totally harmless to you.

> Also a naive question: why all those deb packages in /var/cache/apt/archives ?

Probably to make reinstalling faster. I usually do
   sudo apt-get clean
as a part of my weekly(?) update routine, and it seems to keep them away.
Actually, my routine command (cut and pasted from the wiki page where I note
the changes) is
  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -u && sudo apt-get clean

-H

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk