Re: libsc7_2.3.1-3_amd64.deb problems

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:43:05AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I have updated from etch to lenny (UMA type machine dual opterons raid1) by just replacing "etch" with "lenny" in sources.list. Got a single error while processing
>
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libsc7_2.3.1-3_amd64.deb

what error exactly?

> Running
>
> #apt-get -f install
>
> reported the same error.

what error?

> I remember that library was in connection with a quantum-mechanical
> computation program "mpqc" (from the Sandja lab), which is deb
> packaged but which is no more installed on this machine ("which mpqc"
> and varieties of this command for the executable do not report
> anything).
>
> Is that library needed for something else?

Run aptitude with no parameters and enter the interactive interface.
Run a search on libsc7 and see.  Actually its not a long list, here it
is:
	ghemical
	libghemical0c2a
	libsc-dev
	mpqc

So if you don't have any of those installed, you can go ahead and remove
it.

> Also a naive question: why all those deb packages in
> /var/cache/apt/archives ?

When you install a deb, the deb is archived there incase something goes
wrong during install and you need to try again without re-downloading
it, or you want to keep it around for other boxes, or you want to remove
and reinstall.  You can remove all of them with aptitude clean or just
remove ones that are nolonger valid with aptitude autoclean.  You can do
either from the aptitude interactive interface.

Doug.