Re: compiz fails with Xgl not present error....

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 04:28:39PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Dear Debianists,
>
> I installed my 8500GT nvidia card successfully on my amd64 sempron box running Debian Lenny:
>
> spc1-burn4-0-0-cust452:/etc/X11# glxinfo |grep rendering
> direct rendering: Yes
>
> I followed the advice kindly provided by Hans Ullrich in a recent post and after modifying the xorg.conf file I installed compiz using apt-get install compiz and ran compiz --replace & instead of trying to use the session startup method.
>
> The result was an "Xgl not present error".  I looked around on google to see what this error means but I didn't get much clue.
>
> Is there a debian Xgl package I need to install for example?
>
> Your comments are appreciated.
>
> I included a copy of my xorg.conf after this output.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Fothergill
>
> spc1-burn4-0-0-cust452:/etc/X11# compiz --replace &
> [1] 4093
> spc1-burn4-0-0-cust452:/etc/X11# Checking for Xgl: not present.
> Detected PCI ID for VGA:
> Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
> Checking for non power of two support: present.
> Checking for Composite extension: present.
> Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (8192): Passed.
> Checking for nVidia: present.

It detected an nvidia.  That's all you need.  Xgl is a hack running
essentially an X server on top of openGL on another X server.  I think
ATI users still have to use that, but nvidia users do not.  Xgl is not
an ellegant solution at all, so it not being present is a good thing.

> No nvidia-settings program available to determine VideoRam.Checking for FBConfig: present.

Perhaps you should install the nvidia-settings package then.

> Checking for Xgl: not present.
> Starting gtk-window-decorator
> /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: SmcOpenConnection failed: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

xauth problem?