Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:27:51PM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> There is a nvidia driver in unstable now, that works with 2.6.25?
> Interesting - I can try it when I get time then.  I run mostly
> testing with some unstable stuff now and then.

Well it certainly works with 2.6.24 which is the kernel currently in
unstable.  Until 2.6.25 enters unstable I won't have a clue if the
nvidia driver works with it, nor will I particularly care. :)

> Maybe you are lucky having not exactly the same hardware as me then.
> There are many nvidia cards after all.

That is certainly true.  I have a 6600GT and an 8600GT at home, and a
5200FX and 6200 at work.  So far so good.

> That could happen - but I don't think so when all trouble go away by
> using the vesa X driver. Vesa having useable (although not fantastic)
> performance
> also means I probably aren't using the GPU all that hard when it locks the
> machine.

When you enable 3D mode the power consumption of a video card can go up
by quite a lot (close to 100W on high end cards).  So 2D and hence VESA
could work great with a crap power supply, but 3D mode would fail.