Re: Getting xorg to use the newly installed nvidia drivers

José Alburquerque wrote:
Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:56:40AM -0400, Jos? Alburquerque wrote:
Hi. Would anyone know how I might get xserver-xorg to use the nvidia-glx driver package I just installed (I installed the nvidia-kernel package using m-a, etc.)? I've tried, `dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' and gone through the questions, but it never asks me which driver to use. I'm running an up-to-date lenny system, have a GeForce FX 5200 and debconf is configured to process all priorities (ie. ignore questions with lower priority than 'low'). Would I be missing something? Thanks.

Can't think of any reason then.  Are you SURE it is set to do all levels
of questions in debconf?

nvidia-glx package is installed?

I'm pretty sure. Just to make sure I re-ran 'dpkg-reconfigure debconf' and configured it for low priority (as window shot should show). Here's the list of nvidia packages installed on this system:

[12:30][jose@sweety:~]$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-glx 169.12-1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver ii nvidia-kernel-2.6.24-1-amd64 169.12-1+2.6.24-6 NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.24-1-amd64 ii nvidia-kernel-common 20051028+1-0.1 NVIDIA binary kernel module common files ii nvidia-kernel-source 169.12-1 NVIDIA binary kernel module source ii nvidia-settings 1.0+20070502-1 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver ii nvidia-xconfig 1.0+20070502-1 The NVIDIA X Configuration Tool

I didn't mention that I also seem to get an error message when I run 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'. The first question that it asks is if it should use kernel framebuffer device interface. The last question it asks is if it should emulate 3-button mouse and then it "finishes up" with this message:

[12:32][jose@sweety:~]$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Element/Gnome/Select.pm line 33, <GEN6> line 4.
xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
  file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080423124136

--
José Alburquerque
jaalburquerque@cox.net

The path to real wisdom begins with a deep loving respect for the ever living God (Prov. 1:7)