Re: apt-* vs aptitude vs synaptic

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 05:41:50PM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hmm., all these answers did not really solve my problems. I wondered, why
> aptitude did another choice of installing and uninstalling packages, although
> both are using the identical database.

They use the same package lists.  When there is a conflict however they
have different rules for how to solve them.  apt-get for the most part
will just tell you there is a conflict.  aptitude will try lots of
combinations of removals and upgrades and putting things on hold to try
and make an upgrade or install possible with as little disruption to the
current state of packages on the system as possible.

> And if they really do (as you will admit me), how can I make aptitude to
> behave same as apt-get (relating to the choice of packages) ?

You can't.  It's conflict resolution rules are simply much more
advanced.

> I think, for endusers (non technical or Debian newbies), synaptic will be the
> best choice, rather than apt-* or aptitude. (For most of them, cron-apt is
> working fine, too).

Not so sure about that.  Using a mouse doens't make things any easier.

> I am using apt-* for easy things, aptitude for upgrades and synaptic, if I am
> searching for a string or a string in a description. (I found no way, getting
> full description and packagename with apt-*, as "apt-cache search string -f"
> only got a part of the description.)

apt-cache search will find things.
apt-cache show packagename will show the full description.

> Anyway, synaptic is working fine for this case. :)

Sure synaptic works.