Re: sensors

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 02:13:02AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi:
> I had a look at /etc/sensors.conf
>
> First I learned that in order the 'set' lines take effect at boot, command
>
> # sensors -s
>
> should be issued. That even if, as it is my case, at boot a line appears:
>
> setting sensors limit

Yes it does apply the settings, but the settings in sensors.conf are
just examples, they aren't likely to be correct for your particular
motehrboard.

> Also, is any chance to configure the sensors.conf from data read from BIOS in order to have a correct sampling of temperatures and fan speeds? (without having specific data for the sensors)

No.

The fan speed should be fairly simple in general.  It is usually either
correct or it has to be divided by 2 or 4 to make it correct.  The
maximum and minimums for the alarm state should be set based on the
actual speed of your fan when it works normally.

For voltages, the sensors I have worked with will read correct for any
voltage under 4V, but need an offset and multiplication factor for any
voltages over 4V (since they use a resistor network to scale the voltage
down into a 0 to 4V range for the sensor).  To get an accurate reading
really requires knowing which resistor values were used.  Of course you
also need to know which voltage is supposed to be on each input on the
sensor since they could really be used for anything the board maker
chooses.