Re: Dual-core system will not create NTP peers'

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
Moshe,

What part of "keep the replies on the list" didn't you understand.
Reply to the list.

That'd be the part where I misread the statement. My apologies.

Try ntp.  Read the ntp docs package.  They say "after a suitable period
of mourning, the ntpdate program may be retired".  After all, the ntp
program with iburst, -q and -g or -x if necessary gives a better
algorithm, error correction, and debugging than ntpdate.

ntpd simply never forms a peer relationship even though I've tried many different options.

The -q option mimics ntpdate.

The -x option increases the slew threshold; what I need is more rapid, not less rapid, synchronization. If I'm losing 2.5% of my clock, a slew rate of 0.5 ms/s isn't going to keep up. I've tried similar settings to "-x" through the "tinker" option in the configuration file, but I will give it another shot.

The -g option does work; it's a Debian default configuration option (/etc/defaults/ntp). I get a step adjustment the first time I start ntpd. Unfortunately, after that initial step, I never get any subsequent synchronization and ntpd never forms a peer relationship.

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * moshe@pobox.com * www.pobox.com/~moshe
 "Live fast. Die young. Leave no documentation."