Issue with xawtv

Hello,
When I try to run xawtv I get the following messages:

vincent@swatantra:~$ gksudo xawtv
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
xinerama 0: 1280x800+0+0
X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
  Major opcode of failed request:  137 (XFree86-DGA)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (XF86DGAGetVideoLL)
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  13
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
v4l: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
no video grabber device available

vincent@swatantra:~$ v4l
v4l-conf  v4lctl    v4l-info
vincent@swatantra:~$ v4l-conf
v4l-conf: using X11 display :0.0
dga: version 2.0
X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
  Major opcode of failed request:  137 (XFree86-DGA)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (XF86DGAGetVideoLL)
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  13

vincent@swatantra:~$ v4l-info
open /dev/video0: No such file or directory

Now I noticed that my 'video*' devices are in /dev/.static/dev rather than /dev and this could be the reason for it not being accessible.
I had asked this question on IRC was told that it had something to do with udev. What should I do to get this to work?
Thank you.
Regards,
--
Vikram Vincent