Re: Grub and raid

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 09:53:54AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Well grub 0.97 doesn't do LVM at all, and as for raid it doesn't have a
> clue but simply relies on the fact you can read a raid1 device
> independantly of it's clone.  grub2 (1.95 and higher) does support LVM,
> and possibly raid other than raid1 (I haven't checked if raid support
> has been updated).

I have almost all of my system on LVM/RAID1, with only a 2G paritition
outside of LVM/RAID on each of my two disks.

That's the one I boot from, using grub.

The LVM space used to have just the user data, but reently I've had to move /usr into
LVM space too because the 2G became crowded.

What I'd like to know (running Debain etch, but will upgrade to lenny when that
becomes stable) is:

Which of the top-level file systems have to be outside LVM storage when booting from
grub?

-- hendrik