Re: Package xserver-xorg-core and Nvidia

Am Sonntag, 20. Januar 2008 schrieb Karl Schmidt:
> Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > To get the newest NVidia-packages installed and built, you can follow
> > these steps:
> >
> > 1. delete all /usr/src/modules/nv*
> > 2. delete /usr/src/nvidia-source*.tgz
> > 3. delete all formerly built packages (i.e. nvidia-kernel-bla***.deb)
> > 4. deinstall nvidia-source and reinstall the new nvidia-source
> > 5. start module-assistant and choose nvidia-kernel and let it build and
> > install
> > 6. apt-get update, apt-get upgrade let you now install the newest package
> > nvidia-glx
> > 7. update all xserver-xorg* packages.
> > 8. Have fun !
> >
> > The latest version (167.07) is running stable !
> >

> > Good luck !
> >
> > Hans-J. Ullrich
>
> That didn't work for me - I got every thing compiled and installed -
> verified that the nvidia driver was loaded, but xorg could not see it and
> errors out.
>
> I think it is a version thing - or something to do with AMD64.
>
> If someone has this working under lenny and could list the following:
>
> * kernel version running
> * versions of all the nvidia packages
> * version of xorg
>
> This way I'm comparing apples to apples.

> Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl@xtronics.com
> Transtronics, Inc.                     WEB http://xtronics.com
> 3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
> Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434
>
> Cry a river, build a bridge, get over it.

Hi Karl,

I am running Debian sid. Maybe you could start without kdm or gdm (just
move /etc/init.d/kdm somewhere else), and stop it. If they are no running,
you can start X with the command startx. The advantage is, you can see in
stdout, what is not working, and why it is not working. Often this is helping
to find reasons, why X will not start.

The versions abobe 100.14.09 must use Xorg7.3 and higher, due to a new ABI in
the Nvidia drivers.

Just take care, nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx are the versions, which belong
together. Sometimes it is necessary, to unload and load the nvidia-kernel
module manually.

Good luck !

Hans