Re: Package xserver-xorg-core and Nvidia

++++++++ Karl Schmidt 20:59 Sat 19 Jan      ++++++++

I think I shouldn't have updated to lenny -- I can't get nvidia working and I need it for a dual head setup (I don't think the "nv" driver can do this).

Not sure which way to go from here:

* Use the nvidia supplied drivers? (I've never done this)

* Is there a way to use the etch drivers?

* Get Some other card that has an open driver that supports dual head display?

Maybe it depends which Nvidia cards you have.  I got the nvidia driver
to work just fine on lenny/AMD64 with nvidia motherboard video and a separate
nvidia-compatible video adapter.

    PCI:*(0:5:0) nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce 6100] rev 162
    PCI: (3:6:0) nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x]

Don't have the exact name of the NVIDIA 64-bit package I used.

You do have to have the kernel source installed.  The first thing I
normally do is upgrade the kernel by building source, then install the
video (and VMware).

xorg.conf loads glx, int10, vbe, dbe, record, dri, nvidia, kdb, mouse,
fb, ramdac.

Option "HWcursor" "false"

By the way, the motherboard was part of a bare-bones bundle from
TigerDirect.   When it boots, it says "Engineering Release, Not Ready
for Production Use" <laughing>.

--
America works less, when you say "Union Yes!"