Re: Corrupted Gnome terminal

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 10:20 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:36:02PM -0600, Jack Schneider wrote:
> > Tried the failsafe Gnome-Terminal, Terminal is fine when I login as
> > alternate-user, but when I login as myself it continues to fail...8-(
> >
> > Tried the strace procedure the Jurriaan suggested.  and the diff
> > returned a null output.  so it seems that starting gnome-terminal does
> > not give a traceable error..  unless I screwed up again...8-)
> > I hope I'm not interfering with your day... Thanks for your efforts and
> > guidance....
>
> You would have to do something like:
>
> strace gnometerminalprogram 2> logfile
>
> All output from strace is on stderr not stdout.
>
> otherwise you end up with a log containing only the output of the
> terminal program, not the strace.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Hi, all

Finally got back to this..  I ran in a login safe gnome-terminal:
strace gnome-terminal 2> term_error
on both users

Speeduke:/home/jack# diff term_error ~puck/term_error > diff_terms
Speeduke:/home/jack# less diff_terms
Speeduke:/home/jack# man diff

Speeduke:/home/jack# diff  --suppress-common-lines  term_error
~puck/term_error > diff_terms
Speeduke:/home/jack# tar cvf diff_terms.tar diff_terms

The tarred file is attached..  Hope someone can make some sense out of
it... I just don't have the knowledge to get farther...

Any suggestions??

Thanks,  Jack