Re: Corrupted Gnome terminal

From: Jack Schneider <puck@dp-indexing.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:02:28AM -0600
> Hi, all
>
> I screwed up my Gnome Terminal setup some how... on my workstation
> desktop.
>
> My system:
> Debian "Lenny"
> Kernel: 2.6.22-3-amd64
> Video:  Nvidia 8600 GT
> Video Drv. NVIDIA 169.07
>
> My Problems:
> Gnome terminal has unreadable fonts..TOO small. The terminal will not
> close, when clicking on X, and cntrl++ will not work.
>
> Xterm seems to work. OK  /var/log/Xorg.0.log has one failure:
> (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> I created a new user, and the Gnome terminal on that Desktop works
> normally..OK  So it seems I have a hidden file screwed up on my
> desktop...
>
> Anyone have a idea what folder i should replace???  or what/where I
> should look or go from here???  I have been struggling for several days
> and come up blank from Archive and Google.
>
> Thanks, in advance..
> Jack

If you remove the package (apt-get remove --purge) and then reinstall
it, does it disappear?

If not, what I'd do is compare strace logs of Gnome terminal for the
user where it isn't OK and the strace logs of Gnome terminal for the
user where it is OK, or find all files including hidden files changed in
the last week or so starting from ~ and guessing which one interacts
with Gnome terminal.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
Morwatz said fretfully, "Why are you so interested in the mannerisms of
the race? Tonight, they intend to eat us . . ."