Re: does xerox workcentre 3119 work in debian amd64?

Solved!

I have managed to get Xerox Workcentre 3119 working in both Lenny
amd64 and also partially in Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon i386 (on my laptop).

First, you open your browser, and go to localhost:631, and remove any
3119 printers you might have had from previous attempts.

In Lenny, you put in the CD, mount it in, for example /mnt/cdrom, and
then you copy all files in
/mnt/cdrom/Linux/x86_64/at_root/usr/lib64/cups/filter to
/usr/lib64/cups/filter on your computer.
Also copy all files in
/mnt/cdrom/Linux/x86_64/at_root/usr/lib64/cups/backend to
/usr/lib64/cups/backend on your computer.

Then you go to "Add printer" in the cups web interface and when it
asks you for the driver you go to
/mnt/cdrom/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/wc3119.ppd

In Ubuntu the difference is that you don't get the files from x86_64
but from i386.

For the scanner it is surprisingly simple. You just run the linux
installation program provided on the CD that comes with. (It will
create another printer along the way which can be removed later.)

One complication with the scanner is that xsane needs to modprobe
something and so can't be run in regular user mode, but only as root.
I have not figured out *what* exactly it modprobes so I can have it
loaded at startup. Until then I am using xsane in root mode, which is
a bad thing, so I just won't use it much...

Also, there is this one error that kept popping up. xsane gives:

*** glibc detected *** xsane: double free or corruption (!prev):
0x000000000079b970 ***

One way to avoid this is to go into /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and remove or
comment out the xerox_wc3119 entry.

In Ubuntu the installation program seems to freeze. In this case one
needs to go into the install.sh file and find where the stuff
concerning the scanner is. It's a routine called
register_sane_backend. I'm not a lisp programmer, but it seems like
pretty self explanatory stuff.

In any case, bottom line, this Xerox Workcentre 3119 machine actually
works in both i386 and amd64, and it seems to work better in Debian
than in Ubuntu. That's a nice.

--
Alexandru I. Cabuz
Tel: +40 (0)722.478.168

--- Please no Word or Powerpoint attachments.
Send plain text, rich text format, html, or pdf instead.