Re: Building i386 Packages on a AMD64 machine

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 09:06:05AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> I need to be able to build i386 packages on a amd64 machine, they are really
> only meta packages. Just need dependencies and some config stuff, but the only
> think I can find how to do it is http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAMD64Faq and that
> means I need to populate my chroot with all the tools I have in my amd64 world
> ?
>
> Is it possible to build a i386 package on a amd64 system, I am guessing it is,
> cause how are all the other platform linux-kernel images built.

Kernel images are a special case (The makefiles are setup for cross
compiling), but in general debian does NOT cross compile packages.  The
simpelst way really is a chroot since you need the header files and
libraries and everything else from i386 to build i386 packages.  You can
build 32bit binaries by just calling gcc with -m32, but that doesn't
solve the rest of the problems.