Re: schroot boot up messages

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:43:54 -0500,
C M Reinehr <cmr@amsent.com> wrote:

[...]

> 	Glad I could help! It probably was just my carelessness as I was
> cleaning up the mount directory, but afterwards I couldn't start my
> chroot. After fooling with it for a couple of _days_ I finally looked in
> my chroot directory and 90% of it was _gone_! At some point I think I
> started cleaning up the mount directory while parts of the chroot
> directory still were mounted.

Yes, that's probably what happened and you butchered the chroot, because I
noticed that all the directories below /var/lib/schroot/mount are hard
linked to wherever the chroot is mounted.  I remember reading somewhere
about someone wiping his/her entire /home (non-chroot!), forgetting it was
still mounted.  Since then, whenever I do *anything* with any of the
chroot directories, all my senses concentrate on everything I do then!
:-)

> 	Anyway, using type=directory seems to work well and I haven't had
> any more problems. And, /proc, /home, /etc are bind mounted and
> unmounted automatically as needed, rather than staying mounted all the
> time, as with chroot.

Did you change anything in your /etc/fstab after you began using
type=directory?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Cheers,

--