Svn+sshfs+shfsmount (slightly offtopic)

Hi
   Sorry. The problem may not be amd64 specific. I was using shfsmount earlier
but it does not work with the 2.6.20 kernel so I switched to sshfs. This
works more or less perfectly except when I commit changes to my subversion
repository. I use subversion in the way that I mount the disk containing the
repository to my working computer to checkout and commit to it. Everything
works perfectly in kernel 2.6.18 with shfsmount but the following does not
work with sshfs (and kernel 2.6.20). Then I get the following error message:
svn commit -m "more rubbish"
Sending        trunk/mcaeln.py
Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't move '/home/gudjon/marconi/svn/mcaeln/db/current.2.tmp'
to '/home/gudjon/marconi/svn/mcaeln/db/current': Operation not permitted

Does anyone know a clever way to debug this? Is it a subversion problem or an
sshfs problem?

Thanks
Gudjon