Re: Offtopic : Large hostings and colocations ?where?

On 5/12/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On a side note, Lennart, when you have 1500 servers, how do you arrange
for console access to a server if required to solve a problem with bios
or early booting (before ssh is available)?

In effect, the BIOS needs to support connecting to the 'console'
across a network.  I don't imagine that's too common on generic
motherboard BIOSes.

It's common for server hardware to have network-accessible consoles.
Absolutely normal with 'traditional Unix hardware' (e.g. - Sun SPARC,
IBM pSeries, etc).

We've got HP Opteron boxes where one can capture BIOS output across
the network (rather needful when folks in Canada need to reconfigure
boxes in India).  HP certainly "sells that"; I'll bet Dell does, too.
It may be more troublesome to get this sort of functionality on "beige
boxes" (even of the server variety).
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)