Re: Re: Problems booting from SATA in a HP DC5750 (ATI SB600 ?) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:05:01AM +1000, Kearsley, John MR wrote:
>     I  purchased a HP dc5750 and have succeeded in loading Slackware 11
> however using a 2.4.33.3 kernel. I have tried some thirty or so
> configurations of an SMP 2.6.17.13 kernel which always fails to boot. It
> tries at 3.0 gig fails, then 1.5 and freezes with the error message, "
> VFS cannot open root device "302" or unknown block (3,2), please append
> a correct root=boot option" Changing root="0302" in lilo just produces
> the same error with a different hex number.

2.4 would only support the sata as an emulated generic ide device
(/dev/hda).  2.6 would try to use it as native sata using libata and
would have the drive appear as /dev/sda.  device 3,2 is hda2, while sda2
would be 8,2.  Try changing it to 'root=/dev/sda2' instead of hda2.

>     I have notified AMD of the error received, however they have offered
> no assistances nor HP.

Not their problem.  Nothing they can do about it.

>     While this will not be of any help to you it may be comforting to
> know that someone in Australia is sharing the pain. As I am reasonably
> new to Linux, I at first naturally assumed it was something I was doing
> wrong, I have now been watching this problem unfold for some 3.5 months.
> I also now have a lot less hair than 3.5 months ago.

Unfortunately from what I have seen lately, there has been a lot of
problems getting SATA natively to work on the SB600, and you may have to
go to 2.6.20 or 2.6.21 before it actually works reliably at all.  Either
way you have to use /dev/sda rather than /dev/hda in your boot menu and
your /etc/fstab file.  Starting out with a 2.4 kernel on a modern system
is just a cause of lots of pain due to the device name changes.