Re: New box crashes

Jack Malmostoso wrote:
I've gotten a
few traces in /var/log/messages, which I'll post to the appropriate
place as soon as I find out what the appropriate place is.

If it's kernel related, the LKML is the right place.
Yeah ... once I try a 32-bit kernel, that's where I'm going. Etch, Feisty Fawn, Gentoo 2006.1 and CentOS all have similar problems, so it's pretty much got to be either hardware or the upstream 64-bit kernel.
In order:

1) Check the memory with memtest for 12+ hours
So far it has about five hours with no errors. I'm hoping there are other diagnostics I can use.
2) Check that HD cables are correctly placed in their sockets
This seems unlikely -- the messages I'm getting look more like memory management than I/O. I have one GB -- I'm thinking that might not be enough for a 64-bit kernel.
3) Check that the computer isn't running too hot
What's the package in Etch that does that? I couldn't find it in the Gnome desktop.
4) Check with another distro. Check the md5sum of the iso BEFORE burning it
Pretty much all the distros and kernels ranging from 2.6.17 through 2.6.18 do this. If I can get the 2.6.20 kernel to build without a crash during the compile, I'll check it out.
5) If nothing yields results, disassemble the computer and remount it with more care and love

Good luck!
By the way, so far, Etch has been the most stable and it's the only one that's configured the video right. Feisty Fawn crashed during the install, CentOS can't give me a reasonable looking screen and Gentoo hasn't been able to do a kernel build without crashing. If I can figure out "make-kpkg" and start building my own kernels, "lenny" may be the best choice for this system. It's a scientific workstation.