Re: New box crashes

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 04:53:19PM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> I just got a new box (Athlon 54 X2 4200+ on a Gigabyte Technology NVIDIA
> GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 AMD ATX Motherboard). I'm getting miscellaneous
> crashes on Etch. They usually occur during I/O intensive operations, and
> at this point I have no reason to suspect the hardware. I've gotten a
> few traces in /var/log/messages, which I'll post to the appropriate
> place as soon as I find out what the appropriate place is.

Nothing wrong with trying them here.  At worst someone will suggest
posting them to lkml instead if it looks like an actual kernel problem.

> So, where does one take this sort of thing? I don't have enough
> information yet to rule out hardware or enough decent debug traces to
> file a defect anywhere. If I can find a non-SMP kernel for Etch on an
> AMD64, I'll probably install it just to see if this stuff goes away.

Most athlon 64 system stability problems come down to the use of bad ram
or more specifically ram that just doesn't have the timing accuracy that
the amd memory controller requires.  Even running memtest for days may
not find it, but taking out half the ram might find a bad stick,
although in some cases the only solution is to buy a different brand of
ram (preferably one the motherboard maker has certified).

Another source of weird crashes is using crappy generic power supplies.
Just don't ever do that.