Re: Howto create 64bit Kernel?

On 01-May-2007 15:35.56 (BST), Stefan Drees wrote:
 > I downloaded the fresh source and created the right link. make
 > menuconfig shows me
 > under "Processor family" only 386 - Pentium... - VIA C3-2. These are
 > only 32bit cpu??s.

Stefan;

It sounds a lot like you have a 32-bit installation. If this is the case,
you should probably consider reinstalling with a 64-bit installation
instead. That is the easiest way.

There is no easy way of converting an existing 32-bit installation to
64-bit, but if you want a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userspace for
compatibility, ensure you have a gcc that can generate x86_64 binaries, and
perform all kernel "make" commands (including menuconfig) with, e.g.:

    make ARCH=x86_64

In the parameters.

Although, if you want simplicity, you should really just use the prebuilt
Debian kernel packages. There are 64-bit kernels available for the i386
port.

Kind regards,
rob.

--