Re: Howto create 64bit Kernel?

Am Dienstag 01 Mai 2007 schrieb Stefan Drees:
> A.E.Lawrence schrieb:
> > Stefan Drees wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> some short question. What must i change in kernel config, to create an
> >> 64bit kernel?
> >> I downloaded the current kernel from ftp.kernel.org and used the 64bit
> >> config
> >> from debian etch amd64 and the 32bit config. Both works, but i want to
> >> know what to change to switch between 64bit and 32bit kernel (cpu-)
> >> type?
> >
> > Look at the README file at top level.
> >
> > make gconfig
> >
> > for example, will give you a full menu which contextual help.
> >
> > ael
>
> I didn´t find it. I did make menuconfig because i didn´t have a GUI on
> the system.
> I can only select 32bit processor´s or does "make" detect which cpu type
> i have
> and let me only select 32bit, because i started on an 32bit system?
>
> Stefan D.

Hi Stefan,
maybe your sources are linked to the headers ? This is my way, it might not be
correct, but it works:

Go to /usr/src

Check a link "/usr/src/linux" , it should point to the unpacked
linux-sources, "/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.20"

If the link points to the headers, delete it and make it new, pointing to the
sources.

O.k., now cd into /usr/src/linux

Do "make menuconfig"

In the forth line of the GUI you see "Processor type and features". Step into.

In the second line of this menu, you see "Processor family" , anbd here you
can choose your processor.

Hint: The kernel-headers are only for building modules, the kernel-sources are
building a kernel.

I hope, this helps. Good luck !

Regards

Hans
--
Firma
Ullrich-IT-Consult

Ihr Spezialist für Linux-Server und -Clients,
IT-Sicherheit, Linux-Schulungen und Workshops