X and keyboard input

Hi

I am in the process of re installing a laptop with debian.  And again I am
running into a problem with X and the home/end/page up/page down keys on the
keyboard. I have had a quick look around google, but to now avail.

I have a normal keyboard, with number pad on the side.

The current test  i use is
run vim test
enter a couple of lines of text, and then try and navigate around it with the
keys on the number pad.

the home,end work fine on the cmd line.

the test works fine in when I run it from a tty

when I log into xwindows and start a xterm the home, end keys work fine.  but
when I try and do the test in vim I get strange characters every were.  Same
problem when trying to use page up and page down in aptitude!

What I would like to find is a site that explains how the input mechanism
works

I would like to learn how to read the scan codes that X see and how they
translate into keys and then the mapping from those keys into
functions/procedures.

I have had a quick look at /etc/inputrc and this seems to be an area of
interest, but I feel like I am fumbling in the dark 8)

thanks
Alex