Re: Why daily builds on the installer page for testing point to sid?

2007/3/10, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@yahoo.com>:
> Though a trivial question for most (not me), what is
> the correct procedure AT THIS TIME to bring etch to
> sid?

As others said before, sid/unstable will never be something else.
So /etc/apt/sources.list must point to sid or unstable to bring etch to sid.

Leaving it sources.list point to etch, actually a symlink to testing, will suddenly (when etch will be released) bring you to stable.
At that time a "new testing" will born and a new codename will be assigned to.

see http://www.debian.org/releases/

> the way for both amd64 and i386? I assume that this
> upgrades the Linux kernel too. What about X? (I do not
> use nVidia drivers, enough 2D acceleration in my
> case). My amd64 machine is raid1.

Release process is the same for both amd64 and i386 archs.
etch will ships kernel 2.6.18

See debian release notes draft for  Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 ("etch"), http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#s-inst-changes

> Thanks
> francesco pietra