Re: Packages.

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 10:35:42PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 05:51:13PM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> > Nuno Magalh?es wrote:

> > Another thing that you can try is simply ask the package to be removed.
> > If you get broken packages or other things are being removed, then the
> > package is needed by something else.
>
> If you use aptitude interactively, it gives you a chance to back out of
> the removal before it goes ahead with it (I think with a
> control-U). But once you go ahead with it, you're stuck.

Also, under Aptitude's options menu, tell it not to treat Recommends as
strong dependancies.  Otherwise you will get lots of cruft.

My routine is to install a base system with nothing installed with
tasksel during install.  Then fire up aptitude, adjust the options as
above, and go down the list of installed packages (they will all be
marked as manually installed) and mark as 'A'uto anything you don't
specifically want.  Then hit 'g' and edit the list as appropriate, then
'g' again to clean up the cruft that comes with a 'minimal' install.
After this, use aptitude interactivly for everything.

Doug.