Re: Is chroot still needed ?

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 07:35:24PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
> time is changing things. So my question: Is a 32-bit-chroot still necessary,
> to run 32-bit-applications ? Just to specify: I have a 64-bit system and a
> chroot below /var/chroot/sid-ia32/. My ldconf is got two additional entrys:
>
> /var/chroot/sid-ia32/lib
> /var/chroot/sid-ia32/usr/lib
>
> to let the system find 32-bit libraries. Now I got errors (segfault) with some
> applications. One is a printer driver, the other is npviewer, which is needed
> for 32-bit flash-driver.
> If I remove the entries in ldconf, so that the chroot is not in the path, the
> 32-bit-drivers are working well and no segfault appears.
>
> Because of this, I wondered, if chroot 32-bit-libs are still needed and used
> by 32-bit-applications. I saw, there were ia32-libs (an orphaned package) and
> libc-i386.
>
> I am using still some external 32-bit-applications.
>
> Please let me know, if the chroot can safely be deleted nowadays.

The chroot is still the cleanest and most organized way to run 32bit
programs.  Nothing has changed in that matter.

What has changed is that some of the reasons for needing 32bit programs
seem to be going away, such as the ability to run 32bit plugins on 64bit
browsers and such.  This does not change the fact that debian is still a
native packages only design, and does not do biarch or multiarch in the
package system.