audio performance.

Dear all,
I have a Soundblaster Audigy LS that I use for sound.  (the on-board
Intel "HD"  audio device (driver - snd-hda-intel)  was unreliable a year ago
when I did my first install.)
It works fine for system sounds and the occasional movie, but playing some
mp3's I find extraneous sounds creeping in.  This is not new, however, as
this noise has been there from the start of using the Soundblaster.
So now I'm trying to track down the source of the noise.

I have an AMDX2 running on an Asus M2NPV-VM.
kernel:  amd64.x2 2.6.22-2-amd64 #1 SMP
currently the soundcard is at IRQ 16
In Kcontrol I've enabled:  "realtime priority" & "full duplex"
This has made no difference that I can detect.
I assume that playing mp3's shouldn't be the cause of the noise?

If anyone can give me a leg up on this, that would be great.
Thanks,
Chris W.