Re: rescue bootable cd ???

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 07:08, helices wrote:
> * "Gudjon I. Gudjonsson" <gudjon@mc2.chalmers.se> [2007:10:02:05:20:25+0200]
scribed:
> > Hi
> >    It is also possible to use the install disk. You just stop after
> > detecting the hard disk (don't reformat it :) Then you do:
> > #mkdir /mnt
> > #mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> > #chroot /mnt
> > and then you can do whatever you need to fix your system.
> >
> > Hope it helps
> > Gudjon
>
> Unfortunately, both systems on which I experienced such calamity ran lvm
> over software raid 5.  In fact, both systems ran lilo, not grub; and
> everything was under lvm, including root and boot.  Under these
> circumstances, there is specific configuration information missing, and
> that prevents the debian install cd, and knoppix, from being able to
> read my disks ;<
>
> When I started this thread, I was thinking about the olden days, when I
> (tried to remember to) ma[dk]e a boot floppy after each new kernel ;>
>
> Any other ideas?

You may still be able to access your hard disks with Knoppix. After booting
Knoppix you first must load the md driver & raid drivers: `modprobe raid5`
should do it. Then, use the mdadm command to query the raid information
written to the hard drives, i.e., `mdadm --detail /dev/sdx`. Once you think
you have the right configuration start your raid array with
`mdadm -A /dev/mdx /dev/sdy ...`. Finally, once your raid array is up &
running you can bring up lvm. Again, learn your configuration with pvdisplay,
vgdisplay & lvdisplay. Then, make your logical volumes active with
`lvchange -ay vgx/lvx ...` Once your logical volumes are active you can mount
them, i.e., `mount -t ext3 /dev/vg0/lv_root /mnt`. Of course, use whatever
details are appropriate for your system.

Good luck!

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------