Re: Opinions sought regarding RAID controller behaviour

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 11:42 +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got one of these in a server: Adaptec 2230-SLP dual RAID ontroller
> PCI-X
>
> It has four disks attached to it and is configured to present three of
> the four as a single RAID-5 array; the fourth disk is a hot spare.
>
> However, when the server to which it is attached is booted up, it
> *sometimes* (not always) shows the following 'disks':
>
> - /dev/sda - the RAID-5 array as expected;
> - /dev/sdb - the first disk in the array, as a single disk;
> - /dev/sdc - the second disk...
> - /dev/sdd - the third disk...
> - /dev/sde - the fourth (spare) disk
>
> After rebooting, it will often return to the (correct) configuration:
>
> - /dev/sda - the RAID-5 array
>
> I only noticed this because there is a second SCSI chain which would
> normally be labelled at /dev/sdb, but got 'bumped' to /dev/sdf
>
> So, the controller is sometimes presenting not only the actual
> configured disk array, but also the individual component disks.
>
> This strikes me as Not Good.
>
> However, is this likely to be a hardware issue, or is it a driver issue?
> I'm using the aacraid driver on a 2.6.15 kernel, running
> Debian/Sarge-amd64.   An upgrade to 2.6.18 and Etch-amd64 is planned
> soon.
>
> I am always aware that I can probably work around the symptoms by using
> UUID labels, but I'm still interested in opinions as to where the
> problem lies.
>
> Opinions, please!

A similar problem can be seen with LSI MegaRAID SAS cards (as used in
dell servers) on older kernels (e.g. the kernel in Ubuntu 6.06), where
the RAID array is listed *last* rather than first

Which suggests it's a kernel issue

--
/ Jo Shields <jms@osc.ox.ac.uk> \