Re: how to compile a recent xen dom0 kernel on amd64?

Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 01:42:22AM +0200, Jonas Meurer wrote:
>
>> What is the current situation with xen on amd64? the debian/sid archive
>> keeps no linux-image-2.6.22-2-xen-amd64, and I was not able to compile
>> a 2.6.22 dom0 kernel with debian xen patches applied on my amd64 system.
>
> IMHO there is no upstream support for kernels newer than 2.6.18. The
> last "official" opinion I heard was that either Xen gets integrated into
> the Linux kernel or support for Xen will be dropped from Debian, since
> there are now other free alternatives that are fully supported on recent
> kernels.
>
> Support for domU is already merged into 2.6.23, but dom0 is not yet
> and I've heard no plans about when it will be.

Linus only merged in some i386 domU xen patches. The option isn't even
available to compile it on amd64 not to mention that it would work at
all. I guess it will still take a few kernels before we can use
upstream source.

>> And indeed some patches seem to be applied (see below). But i still
>> don't see any xen options in menuconfig. Maybe the 2.6.22 xen patches
>> are for i386 only and not ported to amd64 yet?
>
> Based on the output those patches do not contain Xen. I don't know what
> they are for.

The newest working patches I know are from RedHat and for 2.6.20. They
also have 2.6.21 but I heard that were instable.

> Gabor

MfG
        Goswin