Re: Seeking wrapper

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:31:25PM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> I am owning a notebook with a built in usb-webcam (chipset: ALI M5602). As
> there is no linux driver available (the only one I know is still strong beta
> and is crashing my system), my idea is, to use the windows-driver with a
> wrapper. Now I am searching for a wrapper (similar to ndiswrapper) which let
> me load windows-drivers to the kernel. Please don't blame me, I know it
> sounds weired, and I know, this is an ugly way. Of course, I know, that
> windows driver are working in a very other way !
> On another hand, someone told me, there is (I do not believe it, really) , a
> wrapper for this thing.
>
> So, please answer just my  question: Do you know about a wrapper or an
> interface (except ndiswrapper or the commercial "linuxant"-drivers!), which
> let you use windows-drivers for special hardware other than network devices ?
>
> Again, please do not blame for this question.....

ndiswrapper is a special case because windows has a universal network
driver interface called NDIS.  Many drivers on windows are not using a
universal interface so you can't write a universal wrapper.

To run a webcam it would have to interface with V4L after all, which is
totally different than what windows does.

So unfortunately I don't think it is even possible to make such a
wrapper for general purpose.

There is a project trying to write a native driver for the chip though:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/m560x-driver/

Of course yes it is beta and if it crashes, well either talk to the
developers (maybe they have a mailing list) or try and fix the crash
yourself if you can.