AMD64 Newbie Q

Sirs

  I have a new AMD64 box with a strange problem that I hope the more
knowledgeable might be able to answer.

  This box came preconfigured with debian (testing,etch and sid) along
with a chroot partition.  From some of the comments on this list, I
believe the software was installed by RedHat trained techs, not
Debian techs.  ie I have no nvidia group and X still works even after
a kernel upgrade, with no help from me. Anyway....

  The problem is that when root logs in on VT1, and only VT1, the
login shows

-bash: no control on this shell

  I didn't notice that message until I found some odd behavior on that
console.  dpkg -l <program>  would spew out  a bunch of ==== and then
show the last line of the display correctly.  Also if I used ^c to
kill a program, the keyboard went dead for a few minutes and then
logged me out.

  I googled for the error message but did not find any joy there.  I
mucked around with everything I could think of in the man pages,
again, no joy.

  I did discover that if I log in and then do a ^c, I get logged out
and when I log in again, the VT is normal.

  So this is not a _huge_ problem but I am bothered that I have not
been able to find out what they did, to what, to cause this annoyance,

  I have been using Debian for a long time and am certain this is not
a Debian thing.

Thanks for any pointers to what I have missed.

Wayne

--
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.